The major goal of the clinical portion of the program is to enable the student to develop skills that will allow him/her to successfully perform the duties of a Radiographer. The school is a competency-based program in which faculty members, clinical preceptors, and/or departmental staff evaluate the student.
A student spends at least 18-22 hours per week in the clinical setting and may be exposed to ionizing radiation, infectious diseases, body fluids, and cleaning solutions. The student is appropriately instructed in radiation protection and standard precaution procedures, as well as the proper utilization of various types of protective clothing and personal protective devices.
Students rotate on a weekly basis through general diagnostic radiology, emergency radiology, and pediatric radiology. In the second year, they also rotate through specialized areas such as CT, MRI, ultrasound, nuclear medicine, mammography, interventional radiology, radiation oncology, cardiac catheterization, neuroscience, and PET. Students must dress in the approved uniform attire during classes and clinical rotations.
Clinical hours vary depending on the assigned rotation. Most clinical assignments occur during the day shift; however, students also rotate on evening and weekend shifts in emergency and pediatric radiology departments (approximately 7% of training). In addition to clinical assignments at Grady, students also rotate to several neighborhood clinics, affiliate hospitals, and clinics in the Atlanta area.
The program has articulation agreements with the following clinical sites:
- Grady Memorial Hospital – 80 Jesse Hill, Jr. Drive, SE, Atlanta, GA 30303
Address and travel times from Grady Memorial Hospital to other clinical sites:
- Asa Yancey Health Center – 1247 Donald Lee Hollowell Pkwy, NW, Atlanta, GA 30318 – 4 miles
- Brookhaven Health Center – 2695 Buford Highway, NE, Atlanta, GA 30324 – 11.5 miles
- Camp Creek Comprehensive Care Center – 3896 Princeton Lakes Way, Atlanta, GA 30331 – 13.8 miles
- Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Hudson Bridge – 1510 Hudson Bridge Road, Stockbridge, GA 30281 – 24 miles
- Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Hughes Spalding – 35 Jesse Hill Jr Drive, SE, Atlanta, GA 30303 – one block from Grady Memorial Hospital
- Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Satellite Blvd – 2660 Satellite Blvd, Duluth, GA 30096 – 20 miles
- East Point Health Center – 1595 W. Cleveland Ave. East Point, GA 30344 – 7.8 miles
- Emory University Hospital Midtown – 550 Peachtree Street, NE, Atlanta, GA 30308 – 2 miles
- Kaiser Permanente Southwood – 2400 Mt. Zion Parkway, Jonesboro, GA 30236 – 17 miles
- Kaiser Permanente TownPark – 750 Townpark Lane, Kennesaw, GA 30144 – 25 miles
- Kirkwood Health Center – 1863 Memorial Drive, SE, Atlanta, GA 30317 – 5.1 miles
- Peachtree Orthopedic Clinic College Park – 1901 Phoenix Blvd, Suite 200, College Park, GA 30349 – 13 miles
- Peachtree Orthopedic Clinic Main – 2001 Peachtree Road, NE, Suite 705, Atlanta, GA 30309 – 6 miles
- Peachtree Orthopedic Clinic Northside – 5505 Peachtree Dunwoody Road, Suite 600, Atlanta, GA 30342 – 13 miles
- Peachtree Orthopedic Clinic Sports Medicine Center – 2045 Peachtree Road, NE, Suite 700, Atlanta, GA 30309 – 6 miles
- Peachtree Orthopedic Clinic West Paces – 3200 Downwood Circle, NW, Atlanta, GA 30327 – 8 miles
- Piedmont Outpatient Center at Piedmont West –1800 Howell Mill Road, NW, Atlanta, GA 30318 – 5 miles
- Ponce De Leon Center/IDP –341 Ponce de Leon Ave, NE, Atlanta, GA 30308 – 3 miles