As the region’s premier level I trauma center and Atlanta’s only nationally verified center, Grady’s Marcus Trauma Center has specially trained surgical teams here and ready 24/7. This means patients brought to Grady after a serious injury have immediate access to trauma surgeons, operating rooms, and other highly skilled specialists.
Marcus Trauma Center has 15 beds including seven resuscitation bays and eight critical care rooms – each fully equipped with advanced medical technology and cardiac monitoring.
The Trauma Team
Optimal care of trauma patients requires a multidisciplinary team of specialists. At any given time, multiple physician specialists are onsite at Grady – from trauma surgeons to emergency physicians, neurosurgeons, and orthopedic experts. All Grady trauma surgeons have specialized training in trauma and critical care and are doubled boarded in general surgery and surgical critical care.
Grady’s multidisciplinary trauma team includes:
- Physicians (Surgery, Emergency Medicine, Orthopedics, Neurosurgery, Critical Care Medicine and Anesthesia)
- Nurses (Emergency Care Center, Operating Room, Intensive Care Units, Floors and Clinics)
- Technologists (Laboratory, Radiology, Blood Bank)
- Therapists (Respiratory, Physical, Occupational, Speech)
Comprehensive Healthcare Team – What Makes Grady Special
From a simple contusion to compound fractures, open wounds, or lacerations, our Grady staff is capable of delivering complete, timely and state of the art care, from admission through rehabilitation. A few things that make us special include:
- All Trauma Surgeons are dual boarded in General Surgery and Surgical Critical Care
- Orthopedic expertise in complex fractures and acetabular repairs
- Endovascular support for repair of blunt aortic injury
- Fellowship trained neurosurgical and spine surgeons
- Brain and spinal cord injury research protocols
- Expertise in complex abdominal wall reconstruction
- Comprehensive burn care
Transferring trauma, surgical critical care, or burn patients to Grady takes just one call: 1-866-GRADY-TX (1-866-472-3989). If your patient requires the care of a trauma center, surgeons are prepared to consult with you and accept your patient.
Here’s how it works…
• Your call will be answered by the nurse-staffed Grady Transfer Center.
- Preliminary patient information will be gathered, and the in-house attending surgeon will be contacted.
- Within minutes, you’ll be speaking to the attending surgeon – and immediate arrangements will be made to transfer your patient.
- Should your patient need rapid transport by air, Grady will assist in making the necessary arrangements.
- Grady will quickly provide appropriate feedback regarding the extent of injuries and the patient’s outcome.
When to Choose Grady
- Poly-trauma, multiply injured patients
- Complex solid organ injuries
- Severe pulmonary/ thoracic injuries
- CNS injuries: brain and spinal cord
- Vascular injuries – blunt thoracic aortic injuries
- Mangled extremities
- Any patient exceeding your institutional capabilities
Forms you’ll need
|Authorization of Treatment||Rights & Responsibilities|