Grady Health System is implementing a stricter visitation policy at the hospital, effective immediately. No visitors will be allowed unless the patient meets the below exceptions. The new policy will be in place until the transmission of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, is no longer a threat to patients, staff, and the community.
- Obstetric patients may have one partner and one birth support person accompany them.
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) patients may have both parents or one parent plus one significant other and must remain in the room for the duration of the visit.
- Patients who are at the end-of-life may have two visitors.
- Patients with disruptive behavior or behavioral health needs, in which a family member is key to their care, may have one visitor.
- Patients who have altered mental status or developmental delays (where caregiver provides safety) may have one visitor.
- Minor patients under age 18 may have one visitor (parent or guardian)
- Patients undergoing surgery or procedures may have one visitor who must leave the hospital as soon as possible after the procedure/surgery.
- Patients, who have an appointment at a Grady hospital-based clinic, laboratory, or radiology, as well as those visiting the Emergency Department, may have one person with them.
- No visitors will be allowed for patients who are a PUI (person under investigation) for COVID-19 or have a pending or positive COVID-19 test.
- All visitors allowed per the exceptions above will be screened for temperature and questionnaire and no visitor will be allowed if they have the following symptoms (fever, runny nose, cough, and/or shortness of breath).
- Children under age 16 will not be allowed except under extraordinary circumstances.
- We strongly encourage no visitors over the age of 70 with chronic conditions such as diabetes or heart disease as these persons are at higher risk of contracting and having consequences from COVID19.
- Visitors that are allowed must stay in the patient room.
Visitors may only enter/exit through select points of entry into the hospital for screening purposes (Main entrance, ED entrance, Senior Care Pharmacy). The Senior Care Pharmacy will open at 7 a.m. and close at 7 p.m. The Main entrance (next to Butler parking deck) will open at 6 a.m. and close at 11 p.m.
Due to the changing nature of COVID-19’s presence in Georgia, this policy will be revised accordingly in response to circumstances.