Michael FrankelBack to Search Results
- Marcus Stroke & Neuroscience Center
- 80 Jesse Hill Jr Drive SE Atlanta, GA 30303
- (404) 616-1111
Since 1992, Dr. Michael Frankel has served as Chief of Neurology and Director of the Marcus Stroke and Neuroscience Center at Grady Memorial Hospital. He is also Professor of Neurology and Division Director of Vascular Neurology at Emory University School of Medicine.
In 1992, under his leadership, Grady Memorial Hospital became the first hospital in the Southeast to have a round-the-clock acute stroke team focusing on enrolling patients into the landmark NIH tPA Stroke Trial and leading to FDA approval in 1996. Since 2001, he has worked with numerous hospitals across GA to help them become “stroke ready” via the CDC’s Georgia Acute Stroke Coverdell Registry, which he initiated for Georgia in 2001 and currently serves as the Lead Neurologist for the state-based registry.
In 2010, Dr. Frankel and his team opened the Marcus Stroke & Neuroscience Center, a cutting-edge Comprehensive Stroke Center and the region’s premier referral site for patients with acute stroke. His team has pioneered new treatments and led the recently completed clinical trial called “DAWN”, published in the New England Journal of Medicine on November 11, 2017, providing definitive proof that thrombectomy (endovascular removal of blood clots inside cerebral arteries) dramatically improves outcomes for patients with acute stroke who arrive at the hospital between 6 and 24 hours from last known well and have favorable advanced brain imaging. This landmark trial is a paradigm shift for stroke care, ushering in a new era of defining a “tissue window” rather than just a “time window” for treatment.
Since 2013, Dr. Frankel has directed the NIH funded Georgia StrokeNet, one of 25 regional coordinating centers in the US focusing on enhancing recruitment into clinical trials of stroke prevention, intervention and recovery. Dr. Frankel is extremely proud of the academic and clinical missions at Grady. His neuroscience team of clinicians, educators, and researchers focus on excellence in patient care, discovering new treatments, and training the next generation of healthcare providers.
- 1996 Neurology Faculty Teaching Award, presented by Emory Neurology residents.
- 1999 Best Neurology Faculty Teaching Award, presented by the Emory University Medical School graduating class of 1999.
- 1999 Special Recognition Award for Excellence in Teaching, presented by Emory Neurology residents.
- 2002 Neurology Faculty Teaching Award, presented by Emory Neurology residents
- 2007 Neurology Faculty Teaching Award, presented by Emory neurology residents
- 2008 Elected to Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) by Emory Medical Students
- 2012 Health Care Hero Finalist – Atlanta Business Chronicle
- 2015 “Pioneering Neurologist of the Year Award” – presented by the Society of Vascular & Interventional Neurology (SVIN) at the annual international meeting.
- 2016 “Visionary Award” – presented by the Grady Health System at the Annual White Coat Gala
- 2017 Marcus Stroke Network established via generous gift from the Marcus Foundation, establishing a new and innovative telemedicine system for acute stroke, including the state’s first mobile stroke ambulance
- Psychiatry/Neurology - Neurology
- Medical School @ University of Louisville School of Medicine
- Internship @ Emory University School of Medicine
- Residency @ Emory University School of Medicine